Yes, facial oils are worth the hype and here to stay! After tons of experimentation and research, I’ve started making my own blends with ingredients to specifically combat my congested skin.
Ingredients for my DIY Facial Oil Blend for Congested Skin
Here is my list of ingredients, with comedogenic ratings on a scale from 0-5.
Jojoba oil has a comedogenic rating of 2, but don’t let that scare you. Jojoba Oil is considered the holy grail of combating congested skin because its waxy consistency mimics our body’s own sebum and tricks our bodies into producing less sebum. Try Jojoba Oil (2 oz), USDA Certified Organic, 100% Pure, Cold Pressed, Unrefined. Revitalizes Hair and Gives Skin a Radiant, Youthful Look. Great treatment for Face, Lips, Cuticles, Stretch Marks, Beard.
Rosehip oil has a comedogenic rating of 1 and is a very dry oil, meaning it doesn’t leave a greasy residue on your skin. Rosehip oil contains naturally occurring vitamin A, so its benefits are similar to what you would expect by using Retin-A, but without the harsh side effects. It promotes skin regeneration, which improves the appearance of fine lines. It also evens skin tone and improves elasticity. Try Rosehip Seed Oil by Leven Rose, 100% Pure Organic Unrefined Cold Pressed Anti Aging Moisturizer for Hair Skin & Nails.
Sea Buckthorn Oil
Sea Buckthorn oil has a comedogenic rating of 1. It contains over 190 nutrients, including vitamins A, C, and E. It’s great for treating acne and rosacea, due to its ability to fight inflammation. Try Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil by Leven Rose, 100% Pure Organic Unrefined Cold Pressed Anti Aging Acne Treatment for Hair Skin and Nails 1 oz.
Tamanu oil, like jojoba oil, has a comedogenic rating of 2. Tamanu oil is anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and has amazing healing properties which stimulate the growth of new tissue. For that reason, it’s great for acne scars. It even provides some natural UV protection of about an SPF15. Try Organic Tamanu Oil for Acne, Scars, Eczema, Psoriasis, Stretch Marks, Shingles, Rosacea, Anti-Aging, Dry Skin and More, Rejuvenates Skin, Scalp and Hair, 100% Pure Virgin Cold Pressed Unrefined.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a very potent essential oil with antibacterial properties. It is said to be an effective, natural alternative to benzoyl peroxide. Try Plant Therapy USDA Certified Organic Tea Tree (Melaleuca) Essential Oil. 100% Pure, Undiluted, Therapeutic Grade. 10 ml (1/3 oz).
How to blend the ingredients
- Purchase high quality, organic, cold-pressed oils from Amazon.
- Purchase small glass, amber vials with droppers. The best size is either 0.5 oz or 1 oz. The smaller, the better because you want to make your oil blends in small batches. I use Silver Spur 1-oz Amber Glass Bottles for Essential Oils with Glass Eye Dropper – Pack of 6.
- Mix 3 parts Jojoba Oil, 1 part Rosehip Oil, 1 part Sea Buckthorn Oil, 1 part Tamanu Oil, and a few drops of tea tree oil.
- Never touch your skin to the glass droppers. You don’t want to introduce bacteria.
- Store all your stock oils in the refrigerator to be safe! Your small vials of blends can stay in a cool, dry place.
Benefits of Blending Your Own Facial Oils
- It saves money. I paid about $80 for my stock of oils and small glass bottles. My stock of oils will last me a year in the refrigerator.
- You can adjust your recipe depending on your needs. Depending on the season, the weather, your hormones, etc… you can adjust the amounts of your ingredients.
- It gives you the peace of mind of knowing what you’re putting on your skin. Remember, use only the highest quality, organic ingredients!
- They make great gifts. Your friends and family will love them!
I hope you enjoy this DIY facial oil blend for congested skin. Let me know your personal skincare secrets in the comments below!